Cowboy Values

On a recent trip to Montana, a client gave me a book by James P. Owens entitled “Cowboy Values” – It changed the way I look at things. As I read it I kept nodding in agreement. Here are the high points:

  • 90% of the politicians give the other 10% a bad name.
  • Cowboys carry themselves with an authenticity, humility and quiet confidence. They are the real deal.
  • A man who doesn’t stand for something will fall for anything.
  • Success is not final, failure isn’t fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.
  • Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without faith, hope and confidence.
  • There ain’t a horse that can’t be rode; a cowboy that can’t be throwed!
  • If you are looking for a helping hand, try the one at the end of your own (damn) arm!
  • Here are the 10 Cowboy Principles to live by:
    1. Live each day with courage.
    2. Take pride in your work.
    3. Always finish what you start.
    4. Do what has to be done.
    5. Be tough but fair.
    6. When you make a promise, keep it.
    7. Ride for the brand.
    8. Talk less, say more.
    9. Some things aren’t for sale.
    10. Know where to draw the line.

    I was listening to Marty Robbin’s song “El Paso” while writing this. I reckon I oughta buy me a 10 Gallon Hat, some cowboy boots and a big ol’ belt buckle…”Howdy Pard”

    Tags: , , , ,

    No comments yet.

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.